Yesterday was a little cooler and rainy which tends to make me want to snack more. Apparently I feel the need to store calories and be prepared for a famine when the weather cools off.
To satisfy my chocolate craving but with something semi-substantial, I decided to doctor up one of my favorite on-the-go snacks from Paleo People. They have a wonderful line of oat-free, grain free granolas that are absolutely delicious. For my concoction I chose the Banana Nut Granola because, as I’ve mentioned before, I do love the chocolate/banana combo!
The granola is amazing on it’s own, but I wanted to take it up a notch by adding in toasted coconut flakes, a drizzle of dark chocolate and a sprinkle of pink Himalayan sea salt. The results were better than I’d hoped!!
We devoured ours very quickly, and by “we” I mean me. So be careful and portion this one out since it’s easy to over-do in one sitting. Have fun!
1 pkg (5 oz) Paleo People Banana Nut Granola (http://www.paleopeople.com/)
¼ – 1/3 C Dark Chocolate (72% or higher – amount depends on
how chocolaty you want it)
1/3 C Unsweetened Organic Coconut Flakes
Pinch of Sea Salt (I used Pink Himalayan Sea Salt)
1) Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread granola evenly on paper.
2) Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave, for 20 second increments, stirring each time, until chocolate is almost completely melted. Remove from microwave and stir until completely melted.
3) Spread coconut flakes evenly on another baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until coconut is evenly toasted.
4) Stir toasted coconut into the Banana Granola.
5) Drizzle melted chocolate evenly over coconut/granola mixture.
6) Sprinkle top with a tiny amount of sea salt.
7) Cool at room temperature until chocolate hardens, or if you just can’t wait, place in the fridge until chocolate firms up, about 30 minutes.
8) Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.